Monday, April 29, 2013

Balance

In my short 19 years of life I have realized, through experience, that balance is really more important than we think. Growing up I heard my youth pastor say, "Have you ever heard the quote "Don't be so heavenly minded that you don't do any earthly good?" There's is no such thing as being too heavenly minded". I've never forgot when he said that and I always thought that that quote sounded pretty good. I've now realized that as Christians being spiritually minded means sympathizing and understanding with all people.

Another analogy (of many) I remember my youth pastor talking about is life being like a drive. We want to stay on the road and out of the ditches on each side. So what are the ditches we are trying to steer clear of?

Ditch #1 - Legalism

When I decided to follow Jesus the summer going into my freshman year of high school I was (and still am) a very prideful, selfish, competitive person. My mentality didn't change the very second I prayed and asked God to save me. I remember thinking to myself, "I'm going to be the best football player, student, and Christian there ever was" which is a funny thought when I look back at it. I looked at Christianity as a competition and read all the commentaries, books, blogs and articles I could. I also did what I could to fill every second of silence with Christian music and sermons. Sounds pretty when you first think about it but I once heard John Piper say that any (spiritual) work that isn't fueled by faith is legalism. Here is a definition...

Legalism, in Christian theology, is a usually pejorative term referring to an over-emphasis on discipline of conduct, or legal ideas, usually implying an allegation of misguided rigour, pride, superficiality, the neglect of mercy, and ignorance of the grace of God or emphasizing the letter of law over the spirit. Legalism is alleged against any view that obedience to law, not faith in God's grace, is the pre-eminent principle of redemption.

All the ministry and study I did was essentially to make me look good. I turned a lot of people off towards the idea of living a life pleasing to The Lord. In all reality, I wasn't. After coming to grips with that I wanted nothing more than to turn away from that. So I stopped teaching, preaching, and reading spiritual books. Unfortunately, in an attempt to swerve out of the ditch of legalism, I over correct into ditch #2.

Ditch #2 - License

License is the idea that since Christ has died for all of our sins we have the freedom to do whatever we want. Now, I've actually committed to this idea. I know that if our thought process is that we can do whatever we want because of the grace of God, we don't really understand grace. But, in an attempt to love people more by "loosening up" I found myself to fall short in different areas of my life more often. I found myself to be really opposed and even frustrated with the things I consumed all my time with even just a year before. I've been irritated with the special language we as Christians use when we talk about or pray to God... which we call Christianese. I've learned though, that those things are not just ok, they're great. I've learned that it takes a BALANCE. It takes stay on the road.

The Road

A few days ago I tweeted this: "Simplicity is the key to success". My high school football coaches were always fond of the K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple, Stupid) method. I think Jesus established this long before we realized how true it was. In Matthew 22:34-40 the Pharisees (the prime of example of legalism) ask Jesus what the greatest commandment is. Jesus answers "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." Jesus said that the second was this, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Pretty simple, isn't it? I think 1 Peter 4:8 is echoing this when Peter writes, "Love covers a multitude of sins."

My advice, and God's, would be this: Live (wisely & lovingly) and learn (as much as you can along the way).

My prayer is that we would all find the balance we need to serve The Lord and His people to the best of our God given ability.

For a better explanation on this ... Check out Matt Chandler "Of Danger and Ditches" http://www.thevillagechurch.net/resources/sermons/#series-sort_luke

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. It gave me a lot to think about and some things to work on. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete